Monday, November 16, 2009

Neil DeGrasse Tyson answers "Do you believe in UFOs?"

This video has been sitting open in a tab in my browser for a couple weeks now, so I figure it's about time to post it. Someone asked Neil DeGrasse Tyson, "Do you believe in UFOs or extraterrestrial visitors?" His answer is wonderful. For those too busy to watch nine minutes of awesome, his answer is summed up by the following:

"Somebody sees lights flashing in the sky . . . they say, 'I don't know what it is. It must be aliens from outer space visiting from another planet.' Well, if you don't know what it is, that's where your conversation should stop! You don't then say it must be anything!"

This is a classic argument from ignorance, and Tyson explains it very well. He also touches on the value of eyewitness testimony, and gives a strategy for UFO abductees to use if they want to be taken seriously by science. Great stuff.



Neil Tyson talks about UFOs and the argument from ignorance.

2 comments:

Hypatia said...

I really enjoyed this whole lecture which goes for about an hour and a half. I would love to see him speak in person.

Urban Koda said...

Best 10 minutes I've spent at work all day!! Now I'm going to have to try and track down the rest of it.

Thanks